Monday, January 28, 2013

OCS Day 1


Ok.  So I didn't post yesterday because 1) I was super depressed, and 2) I got a job offer and had to immediately travel to another city to start work Monday.

Here is OCS Day 1:
I talked to Sam this morning before he checked in.  He didn't eat breakfast and that was a mistake.  They don't feed them until dinner time Sunday night.  He was able to catch a ride with another candidate and he kept his phone in the guy's truck along with his charger, so that he could call me if he had any free time.  Instead of letting them take it from him for 9 weeks. Hopefully he can get away within the next couple of weeks and call. ;) Probably not, though.

Here is the summary of today's happenings:

On the day you are to check in, it is highly advisable to get enough sleep the night before and get a good breakfast, brunch or any other meal before checking in. Your first encounter will be with the Candidate Officers (CandiOs). These are candidates in their last two or three weeks of training so realize that they have been in your position as well. You will refer to yourself as Indoctrination Candidate for the first week. Emphasis will be placed on military bearing, ballistics (being as loud as possible and teaching you information crucial to your survival. You will check in at the seawall and move all your belongings to a clear trash bag. From there, they will shuttle you and some of your other classmates that have arrived to the Regimental Building, where you will get your poopy suits, war belts, canteens and chrome domes (helmets).

The majority of the first day is spent receiving your first issue (poopy greens, gouge book, locks, etc), unpacking and learning the basics of OCS. You will meet your Class Officer and possibly your Class Chief Petty Officer. Beware, your class Drill Instructor (DI) will be watching, though you will not see him.

By the end of the day, you will feel belittled, filled with doubt and ready to sleep when the time comes. Take advantage of your sleep. You need not fear people entering your space in the middle of the night - sleep is required and you cannot be disturbed between 2200 and 0500 (10pm to 5am).

I made sure to get two letters in the mail tonight so that they would go out Monday morning and for sure be there by Monday next week, which is his first day to open mail. 
Today was really hard.  I tried not to focus on thinking too much about how long he will be gone and how bad they will treat him.  There's nothing I want less than somebody making the Love of my Eternity feel like he's worthless and little. :( It was very hard to get through today without randomly bursting out in tears.  I keep reminding myself that HE is the one who is going through hell, not me.  At least I feel like it's hell. 

This morning he called me at 630 and we talked until he went to check in at 930.  He said "Hey, Baby! I just opened a bag to open a bag to open a bag to get to my Q-tips." :o) LOL! I told him he'll appreciate that when they dump all of his stuff out and he only has to pick up 5 bags.  Hopefully they aren't mean enough to make him take all of his stuff out of his bags! He said "I already appreciate it!"

I miss my Samberry already so much. 12 weeks is going to be an eternity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment